Library of COVID-19 Related Resources
(Click to download/view the resource documents listed below)
A. The Journal Club:
COVID-19 Impact: The Next Wave of Challenges
Special guest, Muhammad Salman Ashraf, MBBS; Associate Professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, at University of Nebraska Medical Center, joins your host Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, for this edition of FMDA’s Journal Club, COVID-19 Impact: The Next Wave of Challenges.
This session: reviews the latest testing guidance from CMS for nursing facilities; discusses reopening guidance, and the steps we need to consider to assure the safety of our residents and staff; addresses preparedness to manage both COVID-19 and the flu in our facilities; describes where we are currently with this pandemic, and the vaccination trials that are ongoing; and analyzes what needs to be next in terms of infection control and prevention policies for PALTC.
COVID-19 Impact: Creating and Managing a COVID-19 Designated Unit
Special guests Connie Cheren, RN, MSW, LeadingAge Florida Clinical and Compliance Specialist; Dr. Karl Dhana, SVP Medical Affairs; Robert Morin, Director of Facilities; Carmen Shell, SVP Health Center; and Stephen Shell, Risk Manager, joined Dr. Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, for this edition of FMDA's Journal Club.
This session addressed: the steps to take when starting or improving a COVID-19 unit; identifying the major infection control, operational, and staffing features that should be included in the planning process; learning about initiatives to avoid staff burnout, stress, and fear of contracting the virus; identifying ways to use PPE more efficiently without compromising the safety of staff; and how the medical director can support the COVID-19 care team.
COVID-19 Impact: All Things Missed
In this edition of FMDA’s Journal Club, special guest Elizabeth Galik, PhD, CRNP, FAAN, FAANP, joins Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, to discuss the health impact to the non-COVID patient and concerns regarding delaying care, emerging and impactful research outside of the COVID scope, and the longstanding psychosocial impact of COVID-19 to both patients and providers.
COVID-19 Impact: Pharmaceutical Updates and Emerging Research
Special guest Dana Saffel, PharmD, DPh, CGP, FASCP, joins host Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, for the this edition of FMDA’s Journal Club. This session examines: emerging pharmaceutical research regarding treatments and vaccinations, current medications being utilized for the management of COVID-19 both in acute and subacute settings, compassionate medication use including how to address conflicting research, and insights into how we should be working with consultant pharmacists in our facilities.
COVID-19 Impact: Addressing the Public Health Challenge
Special guest, Sean Cannone, DO, CMD, joins Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, on this edition of FMDA’s Journal Club to discuss: the development of a population health strategy to meet the demands of this pandemic, the unique challenges presented by Nursing Homes and ALF’s, advocating for your health system at the local and state level, the steps required to meet the needs of a diverse population, and how Dr. Cannone’s team addressed social determinants of health and healthcare disparities.
COVID-19 Impact: Clinical Trends, Advances, and Healthcare Disparities
Join Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, for this edition of FMDA’s Journal Club where we reviewed all relevant updates and research around COVID-19, clinical advances and emerging best care recommendations, and discussed healthcare disparities related to COVID-19 and the impacts across the PALTC Continuum.
COVID 19 Impact: Clinical Trends, Advances, and Healthcare Disparities
Special guest panelists Elaine Healy, MD, CMD, and Elizabeth Vandevelde, ARNP, join host Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, in their return to FMDA's Journal Club to discuss what conditions we're seeing s/p recovery from COVID-19, rehabilitation changes following this condition, and how we prepare to treat and manage patients who have persistent symptoms following recovery.
COVID-19 Impact: Clinical & Regulatory Updates, July 15, 2020
This session, hosted by Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, featured special guest Kimberly Smoak, MSH, QIDP, Chief of Field Operations, Health Quality Assurance, Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration.
COVID-19: Leading the Battle, July 8, 2020
This session includes: operationalizing the response in skilled nursing facilities; the impact on the morale of nurses and staff, and the difficulties of maintaining a workforce through this pandemic; managing a SNF through an outbreak and addressing the possibility of achieving and maintaining “COVID-free” status; the role of the Medical Director during this pandemic and the responsibility of PALTC clinicians; how SNFs should be managing visitation and vendors; the evolution of Telehealth in facilities; and the variability and variance from county-to-county and state-to-state.
Hosted by: Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD
Special Guest: Elizabeth Borer, RN
COVID-19: In the Trenches, June 24, 2020
This session looks at the opportunities and challenges of providing primary/geriatric care to patients in the outpatient and LTC setting during this pandemic – including practice limitations, the evolving roles and responsibilities of a medical director in PALTC, and practice management insights and strategies.
Hosted by: Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD
Special Guest Panelists: Dr. Thomas Edwards, Dr. Elizabeth Hames, Dr. Brian Kiedrowski, and Dr. Dan Kaplan
COVID-19 Overview: Current State, Challenges, and Opportunities, June 17, 2020
This session, hosted by Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, features special guest Bernardo J. Reyes, MD, CMD, Assistant Professor of Integrated Medical Science, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University.
COVID-19: Telehealth in the Time of Pandemic in PALTC, June 10, 2020
This session, hosted by Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, features special guest Robert A. Zorowitz, MD, MBA, FACP, AGSF, CMD, as he discusses telehealth in post-acute and long-term care during the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19: Evolving Our Infection Control Policies and Response, June 3, 2020
This session, hosted by Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, features special guest Joseph Mylotte, MD, Professor Emeritus of Medicine, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Science, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
COVID-19: Behavioral Health Impacts, May 27, 2020
This session, hosted by Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, features special guest Marc Agronin, MD, as the Journal Club addresses the behavioral health impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19: Clinical Deep Dive into the Research – Part II, May 20, 2020
1. Review all relevant updates and literature around COVID-19
2. Discuss data and revelations from ongoing clinical trials
3. Review emerging best practices
COVID-19: Stories from the Front Lines, May 13, 2020
Hosted by Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, this session features special guests: Gregory James, DO, MPH, CMD; Renee Lebon, RN, NHA; ; Elizabeth VandeVelde, RN, MSN, ANP-CRN, MSN, ANP-C; and Bertha Carrion, ARNP, DNP, FNP. Topics include challenges around obtaining PPE, successes and barriers to treating in place and delivering care via telehealth, and the uphill battle of unnecessary hospitalizations.
COVID-19: Advance Care Planning, April 29, 2020
This session, hosted by Diane Sanders-Cepeda, DO, CMD, features an expert panel discussion with Maria Gonzalez, MD, FAAFP, CMD, and Naushira Pandya, MD, CMD, FACP.
Treating COVID-19+ Patients in Place: Clinical Deep Dive into the Research, April 22, 2020
This session reviews all relevant updates and literature around COVID-19 with emphasis on typical and atypical clinical presentation, innovations around testing, evolving pharmaceutical landscape, and of course, practical implications.
Treating COVID-19+ Patients in Place in PA/LTC: Part III: Facility Readiness, April 16, 2020
- Cohorting Patients
- Reducing Transmission
- Safely Using and Conserving PPE
Treating COVID-19+ Patients in Place in PA/LTC: Part II – Pharmaceutical Management, April 8, 2020
Click here to view the April 8, 2020 Edition of the Journal Club
Click here to access the PowerPoint Slides
The Opportunities and Challenges of Treating COVID-19 Positive PALTC Residents in Place, April 1, 2020
Click here to view the April 1, 2020 Edition of the Journal Club
Click here to access the PowerPoint Slides
COVID-19 Update: Guidance from the State and Teleheatlh Coding, March 25, 2020
Click here to view the March 25, 2020 Edition of the Journal Club
Click here to access the PowerPoint Slides
B. Organizational Efforts:
- AMDA COVID-19 Online Resources
- AMDA Helping Healthcare Workers Self Care Resources
- AMDA – The Other Side of the Stop Sign: How We’re Working to Keep Residents Safe and Healthy During COVID-19
- AMDA – The Other Side of the Stop Sign in Nursing Homes | COVID-19
- AMDA Managing Acute Respiratory Distress During the COVID-19 Pandemic Advance Care Plan Tool
- AMDA State Advisories re: Hospital Discharges and Admissions to Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Communities
- AMDA Statement on the March 25, 2020 – New York State Department of Health Advisory: Hospital Discharges and Admissions to Nursing Homes
- AMDA Statement on the Reopening of Post-Acute & Long-Term Care Facilities
- American Gastroenterological Association: AGA Institute Rapid Review of the GI and Liver Manifestations of COVID-19, Meta-Analysis of International Data, and Recommendations for the Consultative Management of Patients with COVID-19
- ASCP's COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Pandemic Medication Management Strategies
- California Association of Long Term Care Medicine: What California Needs To Do To Protect Its Nursing Home Population
- CHRT: Keeping nursing home residents safe and advancing health in light of COVID-19
- Cohorting Residents to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
- Colorado Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine: Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Outbreak at Canterbury Rehab, 3/29/2020
- Emory School of Medicine – COVID-19: Conserving PPE
- EVMS Medical Group – EVMS Critical Care COVID-19 Management Protocol
- EVMS Medical Group – EVMS Critical Care COVID-19 Management Protocol (Summary)
- FAU – COVID-19 in Long-Term Care Facilities: An Update
- FHCA – Florida Long Term Care COVID-19 Response Significantly Better than National Average
- FHCA – Just the Facts: What Caused COVID-19 Outbreak in Nursing Homes
- FHCA – PPE Webinar Recording & Resources
- Florida Bioethics Network Advisory Board: Ethics Guidelines for Crisis Standards of Care in Public Health Emergencies
- Greystone Health: A Message from the Heart - Written by Elizabeth Borer
- Hospital to Post-Acute Care Facility Transfer – COVID-19 Assessment
- National POLST: COVID-19 Statement
- Position Statement from the National Centre for Infectious Diseases and the Chapter of Infectious Disease Physicians, Academy of Medicine, Singapore – 23 May 2020
- Post-Acute Care and Behavioral Health to Hospital Transfer - COVID-19 Assessment and Communication
- Regulatory Focus – COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker
- Respecting Choices (C-TAC) COVID-19 Resource Toolkit
- State of Florida – Plan for Florida’s Recovery
- SHEA – Unprecedented solutions for extraordinary times: Helping long-term care settings deal with the COVID-19 pandemic
- Steps to Limit COVID-19 Spread and Outbreaks in Long Term Care
- UF - Central Florida Health: System Treatment Guidelines for Confirmed SARS-CoV-2 Infection (COVID-19)
- University Hospital: UH COVID-19 LTC/PAC Playbook
- University of Maryland School of Pharmacy – Optimizing Medication Management During the COVD-19 Pandemic: Implementation for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care
- WHO: Preventing and managing COVID-19 across long-term care services
C. Published Peer Reviewed Journal Articles:
- The American Geriatrics Society: COVID-19 Infections and Deaths among Connecticut Nursing Home Residents: Facility Correlates
- European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology: Olfactory and gustatory dysfunctions as a clinical presentation of mild‑to‑moderate forms of the coronavirus disease (COVID‑19): a multicenter European study
- JAGS: COVID-19 in Nursing Homes: Calming the Perfect Storm
- JAMA: “Abandoned” Nursing Homes Continue to Face Critical Supply and Staff Shortages as COVID-19 Toll Has Mounted
- JAMA: Assessment of Community-Level Disparities in Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Infections and Deaths in Large US Metropolitan Areas
- JAMA: Building an “Army of Disease Detectives” to Trace COVID-19 Contacts
- JAMA: The Business of Medicine in the Era of COVID-19
- JAMA: Caring for Older Adults With Diabetes During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- JAMA: Cascading Risks of COVID-19 Resurgence During an Active 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season
- JAMA: Characteristics and Strength of Evidence of COVID-19 Studies Registered on ClinicalTrials.gov
- JAMA: Characteristics and Quality of US Nursing Homes Reporting Cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- JAMA: Choices for the “New Normal”
- JAMA: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Infection and Renin Angiotensin System Blockers
- JAMA: Contact Tracing Assessment of COVID-19 Transmission Dynamics in Taiwan and Risk at Different Exposure Periods Before and After Symptom Onset
- JAMA: Contact Tracing, Testing, and Control of COVID-19—Learning From Taiwan
- JAMA: COVID-19 and Postinfection Immunity – Limited Evidence, Many Remaining Questions
- JAMA: Development and Validation of a Clinical Risk Score to Predict the Occurrence of Critical Illness in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19
- JAMA: Diagnostic Testing for the Novel Coronavirus
- JAMA: The Dual Epidemics of COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccine Acceptance, Coverage, and Mandates
- JAMA: Effect of Remdesivir vs Standard Care on Clinical Status at 11 Days in Patients With Moderate COVID-19
- JAMA: Efficacy of Remdesivir in COVID-19
- JAMA: Estimation of Excess Deaths Associated With the COVID-19 Pandemic in the United States, March to May 2020
- JAMA: From Containment to Mitigation of COVID-19 in the US
- JAMA: Is a “Cytokine Storm” Relevant to COVID-19?
- JAMA: Letters, September 15, 2020, Volume 324, Number 11
- JAMA: Mortality, Admissions, and Patient Census at SNFs in 3 US Cities During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- JAMA: Mortality and Morbidity – The Measure of a Pandemic
- JAMA: A Multifaceted Antimicrobial Stewardship Program for the Treatment of Uncomplicated Cystitis in Nursing Home Residents
- JAMA: Outbreak Investigation of COVID-19 Among Residents and Staff of an Independent and Assisted Living Community for Older Adults in Seattle, Washington
- JAMA: Palliative Care for Patients With Cancer in the COVID-19 Era
- JAMA: Preventing COVID-19 in Assisted Living Facilities—A Balancing Act
- JAMA: Setting Expectations for Clinical Research During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- JAMA: Testing an Old Therapy Against a New Disease: Convalescent Plasma for COVID-19
- JAMA: Understanding Observational Treatment Comparisons in the Setting of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- JAMA: When Should Clinicians Act on Non–Statistically Significant Results From Clinical Trials?
- JAMDA: COVID-19 Library
- JAMDA: Policy Recommendations regarding Skilled Nursing Facility Management of COVID-19: Lessons From New York State
- JASN: Renal Involvement and Early Prognosis in Patients with COVID-19 Pneumonia
- Journal of Geriatric Emergency Medicine: COVID-19 in Older Adults: Transfers Between Nursing Homes and Hospitals
- Journal of Primary Healthcare: Psychological states of COVID-19 quarantine
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology: COVID-19 and Thrombotic or Thromboembolic Disease: Implications for Prevention, Antithrombotic Therapy, and Follow-Up
- Journal of the American Geriatrics Society: Coronavirus-19 in Geriatrics and Long-Term Care: An Update
- Journal of the American Geriatrics Society: Coronavirus-19 in Geriatrics and Long-Term Care: An Update
- The Lancet: The effect of frailty on survival in patients with COVID-19 (COPE): a multicentre, European, observational cohort study
- The Lancet: Psychiatric and neuropsychiatric presentations associated with severe coronavirus infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis with comparison to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The Lancet: Neurological and neuropsychiatric complications of COVID-19 in 153 patients: a UK-wide surveillance study
- The Lancet: Triple combination of interferon beta-1b, lopinavir–ritonavir, and ribavirin in the treatment of patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19: an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial
- NEJM: An mRNA Vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 — Preliminary Report
- NEJM: Audio Interview: Lessons from Covid-19 Hotspots
- NEJM: Barrier Enclosure during Endotracheal Intubation
- NEJM: Cardiovascular Disease, Drug Therapy, and Mortality in Covid-19
- NEJM: Covid-19 — Implications for the Health Care System
- NEJM: Dexamethasone in Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19 — Preliminary Report
- NEJM: Epidemiology of Covid-19 in a Long-Term Care Facility in King County, Washington
- NEJM: Hydroxychloroquine with or without Azithromycin in Mild-to-Moderate Covid-19
- NEJM: Lupus Anticoagulant and Abnormal Coagulation Tests in Patients with Covid-19
- NEJM: Presymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infections and Transmission in a Skilled Nursing Facility
- NEJM: Rapid Decay of Anti–SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies in Persons with Mild Covid-19
- NEJM: Rapid Scaling Up of Covid-19 Diagnostic Testing in the United States — The NIH RADx Initiative
- NEJM: Renin–Angiotensin–Aldosterone System Inhibitors in Patients with Covid-19
- NEJM: Ten Weeks to Crush the Curve
- NEJM: Thinking Globally, Acting Locally — The U.S. Response to Covid-19
- NIH: Expert U.S. panel develops NIH treatment guidelines for COVID-19
- NIH: NIH clinical trial to test antibodies and other experimental therapeutics for mild and moderate COVID-19
- NIH: Study Suggests New Coronavirus May Remain on Surfaces for Days
- Practical Diabetes: The impact of diabetes on COVID-19 infection
- Prolonged shedding of SARS-CoV-2 in COVID-19 infected hemodialysis patients
- Scientific Reports: Modeling, state estimation, and optimal control for the US COVID‑19 outbreak
D. Government Rules & Regulations Updates:
- 59AER20-4 Mandatory Testing for Assisted Living Facility Staff
- 59AER20-5 Mandatory Testing for Nursing Home Staff
- 59AER20-8 Hospital Screening Requirements for Long-Term Care Facility Residents
- AHCA/NCAL Compassionate Care Amidst the COVID-19 Crisis
- AHCA/NCAL Guidance: Accepting Admissions from Hospitals During COVID-19 Pandemic – REVISED March 30, 2020
- Agency for Health Care Administration Nursing Home and Assisted Living Facility Emergency Rules Routine Staff Testing 59AER20-4 and 59AER20-5 Questions & Answers
- COVID-19 Facility Site Visit
- Emergency Order AHCA No. 20-001
- Emergency Order DEM ORDER NO. 20-009
- Task Force on the Safe and Limited Re-Opening of Long-Term Care Facilities – Final Recommendations to Governor DeSantis
- CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)
- Criteria for Return to Work for Healthcare Personnel with Confirmed or Suspected COVID-19 (Interim Guidance) – Summary of Recent Changes as of April 13, 2020
- Serial Testing for SARS-CoV-2 and Virus Whole Genome Sequencing Inform Infection Risk at Two Skilled Nursing Facilities with COVID-19 Outbreaks — Minnesota, April–June 2020
- Changes to Staffing Information and Quality Measures Posted on the Nursing Home Compare Website and Five Star Quality Rating System due to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Center for Clinical Standards and Quality/Quality, Safety & Oversight Group
- CMS Events: Nursing Home Training Series Webcasts – July 2, 9, and 16 from 4-5 p.m. ET – Click Here to Register
- CMS Events: Nursing Home Training Series Webcasts – Miss a Training? Click here to view records, slides, and resources
- Coronavirus Commission on Safety and Quality in Nursing Homes
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Partner Toolkit
- COVID-19 Emergency Declaration Blanket Waivers for Health Care Providers
- COVID-19 Focused Survey for Nursing Homes
- COVID-19 Long-Term Care Facility Guidance – April 2, 2020
- COVID-19 Nursing Home Data (Submitted Data as of Week Ending: 05/31/2020)
- Department of Health and Human Services – Guidance for PREP Act Coverage for COVID-19 Screening Tests at Nursing Homes, Assisted-Living Facilities, Long-Term-Care Facilities, and other Congregate Facilities
- Fact Sheet for State and Local Governments CMS Programs & Payment for Care in Hospital Alternate Care Sites
- Interim Final Rule Updating Requirements for Notification of Confirmed and Suspected COVID-19 Cases Among Residents and Staff in Nursing Homes
- Letter From CMS Administrator to Nursing Home Workers
- Long-Term Care Nursing Homes Telehealth and Telemedicine Tool Kit
- Nursing Home COVID-19 Data
- Nursing Home Visitation – COVID-19
- Physicians and Other Clinicians: CMS Flexibilities to Fight COVID-19
- Release of COVID-19 Nursing Home Data
- Quality Payment Program – COVID-19 Response
- Upcoming Requirements for Notification of Confirmed COVID-19 (or COVID19 Persons under Investigation) Among Residents and Staff in Nursing Homes
4. Florida DOH
E. Other States:
- Louisiana Department of Health: Healthcare Facility Notice/Order Hospital to Nursing Facility Discharges
- New York Department of Health: Advisory: Hospital Discharges and Admissions to Nursing Homes
- COVID-19: CALTCM Weekly Rounds Webinar Series
- Click here to view the Telligen QIO Webinar, April 9 | Click here for the Telligen Webinar Q&A
- Feldman, Arthur M. (2020, September 4). What can Osler teach us about the covid-19 pandemic? The BMJ
- Frieden, Tom (2020, March 23). Former CDC Chief Dr. Tom Frieden: Coronavirus infection risk may be reduced by Vitamin D. Fox News
- Hauck, G. (2020, April 11). 'Got my blood boiling': Florida nursing homes ask governor for immunity from coronavirus lawsuits. USA TODAY.
- JAMA Network: Coronavirus Update with Anthony Fauci – Recorded on July 2, 2020
- Safdar, K., Palazzolo, J., Adamay, J., and Ramachandran, S. (2020, April 29). Young Doctors Struggle to Treat Coronavirus Patients: ‘We Are Horrified and Scared’. The Wall Street Journal.
- Williams, B. (2020, April 29). Hospitals are heroic, while nursing homes are always to blame. McKnight’s Long-Term Care News.
FMDA's Capital Campaign
FMDA's Council of Presidents invites you to participate – FMDA needs your financial support to continue offering exceptional FMDA services. Click here to read about the Capital Campaign or click Donate at the top of the page now to make a contribution.
Save the Date!
FMDA's Virtual 29th Annual Conferece, Best Care Practices in the Post-Acute & Long-Term Care Continuum 2020, is Oct. 21-25, 2020!
Library of Sepsis-Related Resources
We created a library of Sepsis-Related Resources ranging from published journal articles and reports, PowerPoint presentations, sepsis tools, and Sepsis Summit PowerPoint Presentations.
Volunteer on a Committee
If you are interesting in joining a committee, for a 1-year term, click here to complete this form.
Find us on Facebook and LinkedIn